TIN INDUSTRY (RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT) BOARD (TIN BOARD)
The Tin Industry (Research and Development) Board (Tin Board) was established under Section 4 of the Tin Board (Research and Development) Fund Ordinance No. 58 of 1953. In March 1991, the Ordinance was amended and published as a revised legislation entitled Tin Industry (Research and Development) Fund Act No.455 of 1953.
The Act provides for the collection of cess on export of tin from Malaysia. It also establishes a Fund into which money collected as cess is to be paid into. The Act also establishes a Board to administer and manage the Fund for the purpose of funding research, development, publicity and other activities for the benefit of the Malaysian tin industry. As from 16 July 2013, the cess has been fixed at the rate of 40 cent per kilogramme of tin concentrates.
The Tin Board started operations in 1954 and is responsible to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment. The primary objectives of the Tin Board are to stimulate, popularise and extend the consumption and uses of tin, to publicise and disseminate information on tin production, characteristics and availability, to undertake other activities that will benefit the tin industry, and to help develop a fully integrated tin-based products manufacturing industry.
The Tin Board is managed by nine Board Members comprising six Representative Members nominated by the tin industry and three Official Members nominated by the Government. The current Chairman of the Board is Dato' Seri Dr. Mohd. Ajib Anuar, and the Secretary is Tuan Hj. Muhamad Nor Muhamad.
The Malaysian Tin Products Manufacturers' Association (MTPMA), formed in 1989, is also serviced by the Secretariat and comes directly under the purview of the Tin Board forming part of its extended activities covering the downstream tin-based manufacturing sector under the Industrial Master Plan objectives.
The Association presently has 16 members comprising mainly solder, pewter and tinplate manufacturing companies. It is managed by a Management Committee of nine duly elected members. Its Annual General Meeting is normally held in June where the Association's Report of the Management Committee and Statement of Accounts for the year ending 31 December are presented. The current President of the Association is Mr. Mat Tena'ain Abu Bakar of Redring Solder (M) Sdn Bhd with Ms. Ellena Lee of Selayang Solder Sdn Bhd as Vice President.
The Kuala Lumpur Tin Market (KLTM) is a physical tin market. It was incorporated on June 28, 1984 and was opened for trading on October 1, 1986 replacing the then 75-year old Penang Tin Market. When it first started, the KLTM continued to use the open outcry trading system where buyers and sellers meet to transact business on the floor by open competitive trading. However, since 17 September 2011, the KLTM has migrated to an on-line electronic trading. The KLTM starts trading daily at 10.30 hours local time where bids and offers are matched and balanced to arrive at an equilibrium price.
Membership of the KLTM is opened to corporate bodies and firms which are incorporated in Malaysia in accordance with the provisions of the Companies Act 1965 with a minimum paid up capital of RM250,000.00. Any corporate body or firm which by some reason of its domicile does not meet the requirements for membership, may be admitted at the discretion of the KLTM Board of Directors.
There are two classes of members namely, Ordinary and Associate Members. Ordinary members are classified into two types, namely Trading and Non-Trading Members. Trading Members are allowed to trade directly in the Market while Ordinary Non-Trading Members and Associate Members may do so through Ordinary Trading Members. Currently, there are nine Ordinary Members (seven Trading and two Non-Trading) and one Associate Member. Membership of the company is non-transferable.
The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3) is a major UK engineering institution whose activities encompass the whole materials cycle, from exploration and extraction, through characterisation, processing, forming, finishing and application, to product recycling and land reuse. It exists to promote and develop all aspects of materials science and engineering, geology, mining and associated technologies, mineral and petroleum engineering and extraction metallurgy, as a leading authority in the worldwide materials and mining community.
IOM3 was formed from the merger of the Institute of Materials and the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy in June 2002. Its roots go back to the Iron and Steel Institute which was established in 1869. It received Royal Charters in 1899 and 1975. It merged with the Institute of Packaging (2006) and the Institute of Clay Technology (2006). In the Summer of 2009 the Institute reached an agreement with the Institute of Wood Science to transfer all its members and activities to IOM3. In November 2010, IOM3 also embraced the activities and membership of the Institute of Vitreous Enamellers.